National Organization:Badminton Canada
700 Industrial Ave, Suite 401, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1G 0Y9
Ph: +00 1.613.569-2424
60 Patterson Blvd SW, Calgary, AB, Canada T3H2E1
Ph: +00 1.403.297-2722 Fax: +00 1.403.297-2706
Sanction: BWF – Badminton World Federation
Date: July 2-7, 2019
Competition Venue:Markin MacPhail Centre
Winsport, Winter Sport Institute
Canada Olympic Park, 88 Canada Olympic Road SW,
Calgary, Alberta, T3B 5R5 Canada
Practice Venue:Bob Niven Training Centre (3 courts)
3-5 minute walk from the competition venue
Canada Olympic Park, 88 Canada Olympic Road SW,
Calgary, Alberta, T3B 5R5 Canada
Referee Team:(appointed or approved by BWF)
Referee: Nahathai Sornprachum (THA)
Deputy Referee: Chau Yat Kwong (HKG)
Tournament Director:Jeff Bell
Phone: +00 1.403.297-2108 / Email: email@example.com
Venue: Markin MacPhail Centre, Winsport, Calgary, Canada
• Tournament Office, M2 Lower Level
• Day & Date:
• Monday, July 1 from 0900 – 1500 hrs.
• Tuesday, July 2 from 0900 – 1300 hrs.
The YONEX Aerosena 50 is the official shuttle of the 2019 YONEX Canada Open. Speeds-1, 0, 1 will be available. Additional practice shuttlecocks will be available at minimal cost from the supplier at the
According to BWF World Tour Regulations 6.10 entry fees will only be imposed on players living within Canada.
Conditions of Play: The 2019 YONEX Canada Open will be conducted in accordance with the BWF General Competition Regulations (GCR) including those concerning Clothing, Regulations for BWF World Tour, Players’ Code of Conduct, Coaches and Officials’ Code of Conduct, Match Integrity and Betting. In the event of any dispute, the decision of the Tournament Referee will be final.
Conventional rally point consisting of three games to 21 points will be used throughout the tournament.
Please familiarize yourself with these Regulations prior to your arrival in Calgary.
Practice Facilities: Practice times at the venue on Monday onwards may be requested from the organizer before the event starts, by completing the practice request form and emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, June 4, 2019, however, we cannot guarantee to meet all requests.
Badminton Canada has been able to secure between a 10% to 15% discount on airfare for all participants attending the 2019 Canada Open with two of Canada’s National Airlines – WestJet and Air Canada.
WestJet primarily services Canada, USA and the Caribbean with limited service to Europe.
Air Canada services Canada, USA, Caribbean, Central/South America, Europe and Asia.
In order to access the flight discounts, you must book your flights through the two airlines websites and use the associated discount codes:
WestJet – www.westjet.com-Z60SO16
Air Canada – www.aircanada.com- QAJYTE61
Ground Transport: Airport transportation between the official tournament hotels and the Calgary International Airport will only be provided for players staying at the official tournament hotel.
For airport pick up requests – please complete Transport Request Form. Transport Request Forms must be emailed to email@example.com by Tuesday, June 4, 2019.
Venue transportation will be provided only between the official tournament hotel and the Markin MacPhail Centre located at Winsport.
Team Managers’ Meeting:
• The Team Managers’ Meeting will be held on Monday July 1, 2019 at 1500 hrs. (Mountain Standard Time).
• The venue is the Panorama Room of the Four Points by Sheraton Hotel & Suites, Calgary West
• It is compulsory for all team managers to attend the Team Managers’ Meeting. Failure to attend means you are liable to be fined as per BWF “Offences and Penalties”.
• Member Associations may make a request for an alternative to the Team Manager to represent them at the meeting, provided the Referee is notified in advance.
Technical Officials Meeting:
• The Technical Officials’ briefing will be held on Monday, July1, 2019 at 1630 hrs. (Mountain Standard Time) in the Panorama Room at the Four Points by Sheraton Hotel & Suites, Calgary West.
• Closing Date for Entries Tuesday, May 28
• World Ranking Date for M & Q Report Thursday, May 30
• Publish Date for M & Q Report Friday, May 31
• Seeding Date Thursday, June 6
• Seeding Published Friday, June 7
• Withdraw Deadline Monday, June 10
• Draw Date Tuesday, June 11
Event Entries Maximum Entries for Qualifying Draw
Main Draw Qualifiers
Men’s Singles 48 8 32
Women’s Singles 32 4 16
Men’s Doubles 32 4 16
Women’s Doubles 32 4 16
Mixed Doubles 32 4 16
Order of Play:
Tuesday July 2-Qualifying Rounds
R of 64 MS
0900 – 17:00
18:00 – 23:00
Wednesday July 3 Round of 32 0900 – 21:00 5
Thursday July 4 Round of 16 15:00 – 22:00 4
Friday July 5 Quarter-Finals 1500 – 21:00 3
Saturday July 6 Semi-Finals Start at 1300 2
Sunday July 7 Finals Start at 1300
• All prize money is in USD.
• Total Prize Purse 75 000 USD.
• This prize fund will be distributed in accordance with BWF rules governing World Tour events. Medals for all winners and runner-up.
• No withholding taxes.
• *Per player / ** Per pair
Player/Pair Event Winner Runner-up Semi-finalist Quarter-finalist Last 16
* MS $5 625.00 $2 850.00 $1 087.50 $450.00 $262.50
* WS $5 625.00 $2 850.00 $1 087.50 $450.00 $262.50
** MD $5 925.00 $2 850.00 $1 050.00 $543.75 $281.25
** WD $5 925.00 $2 850.00 $1 050.00 $543.75 $281.25
** XD $5 925.00 $2 850.00 $1 050.00 $543.75 $281.25
• All international players must enter through their respective Member Associations.
• BWF is implementing the Online Entry System for this tournament and we seek Member Associations’ cooperation to ensure all entries are submitted before the closing date Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 23:59 hours BWF Headquarters time.
Group Entry URL: https://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/tournament.aspx?id=C797A7C4-5AE9-43BE-A5F9-08758A544736
• Member Associations will require a username and password to submit your entries and this can be obtained from the BWF. Please contact R. Shanmugan at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The online entry page will close immediately on Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 23:59 hours BWF Headquarters time.
• You are required to submit the entries on time. Late entries will not be accepted.
Close of Online Entry:
• After the closing date, the BWF Online Entry System will send notification to all participating Member Associations confirming receipt of final entries.
• Receipt of this notification is the conclusive evidence of receipt of entries before the deadline. The Member Associations should contact BWF immediately if such notice is not received by Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 12:00 noon BWF Headquarters time following close of entries.
• If no objection is received by BWF by Thursday, May 30, 2019 23.59 hours BWF Headquarters time following the close of entries, the entries shall be deemed correct. No complaints / objections shall be entertained after this point.
• Entry is open to any current member of Badminton Canada in good standing with a BWF # ID number. Please note that only Canadian players with a BWF # ID registered in the BWF Active Player Database can be entered by Badminton Canada. Badminton Canada is implementing its Online Entry System for this tournament.
• Players who intend to register for this tournament must ensure that they have a working email to receive a payment and entry confirmation email.
• All Canadian players will be required to pay a Canadian Anti-Doping Program (CADP) fee as requested by Badminton Canada at the time of on-line registration.
• Canadian players must enter and provide payment here:
The entry deadline for Badminton Canada members is Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2359 hrs. MST. No late entries will be accepted
• The entry fee for one or two events is $230.00 per player; for three events is $280.00 per player. Full entry fee must be paid online at the time of registration.
• No other forms of payment will be accepted.
Confirmation of Entry & Payment:
• Registering players will receive an email confirmation generated by the Badminton Canada Online Entry System and it will include: the events entered and for doubles, partners selected as well as the amount paid online.
• Receipt of payment and entry confirmation email is the conclusive evidence of receipt of entries before the deadline.
• For withdrawals done after the deadline of May 21, 2019, no refunds will be made.
• Entry fees will only be refunded for non-placement in the draws.
• Canadian entries will be entered into the draws in order based on: BWF ranking, Badminton Canada ranking and random draw by BWF.
• Placement in the draws, including qualifications, is not guaranteed due to the maximum entries limits.
For International Entries
The management of withdrawals will be run in accordance with BWF GCR 13 to 14.
Member Associations can withdraw their players/pairs through the online entry system until the last date of withdrawal (without penalty) – see Key Dates above. Withdrawals made after this date will incur a penalty in accordance with Table of Offences and Penalties (BWF Statute 2.5).
Please ensure that the Tournament Referee and Tournament Secretary – see contact details below-are immediately notified in writing of any withdrawal after this date, clearly stating the reason for withdrawal. If a withdrawal takes place after the draw is made, a medical certificate should also be provided.
If withdrawal arises once your players arrive in Birmingham, notification of withdrawal must be made by the Team Manager in person to the Referee, or Deputies, and must also be confirmed in writing to: Withdrawal regulations and penalties will be based on BWF Regulations.
Withdrawal Contact Persons
Tournament Director: Jeff Bell
Referee: Nahathai Sornprachum (THA)
Please note that there will be photographic accreditation for the 2019 YONEX Canada Open. Entry into the venue will be controlled by accreditation / badges which will be available for collection at the Team Managers’ Meeting.
Accreditation will be issued to all qualifying players and officially nominated officials through the respective Member Association. Please find the attached Accreditation Request Form to apply for Team Officials Accreditation. A color passport size photo must be emailed to email@example.com for each member of the delegation, no later than Tuesday, June 4, 2019. Please label each photo with family name and BWF #.
In accordance with agreement with the BWF, the number of accompanying officials for whom there will be accreditation depends on the size of your playing team.
Number of players from Association / No of accompanying Officials:
• For up to 4 : 2 badges
• For 5-10 : 3 badges
• For 11-16 : 4 badges
• For 16 or more : 5 badges
Note: If more officials accompany your team you must purchase additional accreditations. A limited number of additional official accreditation passes may be purchased at the special rate of $100.00 USD each.
For Canadian Coaches
Coaches who meet the following criteria may qualify for accreditation:
• Be a current NCCP certified Competition Development or higher
• Hold a current Badminton Canada membership
• Have a current background check on file
• Application deadline: Application must be received by Badminton Canada on or before Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 2359 hrs. EST using Badminton Canada online coach registration system.
Note that all players are required to participate in media engagements should they be requested in Pre-Tournament Media. They will not exceed one hour in total on the day prior to their first scheduled match of the tournament.
It is also a condition of entry that each player must be willing to give on-court interviews for television immediately after the match has been won or lost, and to attend a post-match press conference on request.
In order to assist with the promotion of the tournament and game in general, it is a condition of entry that each player must be willing to participate on request in at least one appropriate activity of not more than one hour (such as autograph signing, participating in ‘meet the public’ question and answer sessions, etc.).
Video Recording & Photography:
Badminton Canada and the Tournament Organizers reserve the right to take photos, film material or any other image of players taken during events.
No unauthorized persons may enter the playing arena to video record or take photos without the prior approval of Badminton Canada or the Tournament Organizers.
Flash photography is not permitted within the arena at any time. Video recording is permitted for analytical purposes only, and only by competing Member Associations. The Tournament Director and/or Referee shall designate positions. Cameras operating outside of these areas or without the correct accreditation may be removed. Camera accreditation must be obtained in advance.
Member Associations may be liable for any costs incurred by BWF if their video footage is used for any other purpose.
Badminton Canada will provide letters of invitation to all countries competing at the 2019 Canada Open requiring entry VISAs. Please visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp to see if your participants require an entry VISA.
Please note that if you DO NOT require a VISA to enter into Canada that you will likely require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). These are issued by travel agents or by airline prior to boarding a flight bound for Canada.
Badminton Canada will only communicate with a Member Association’s National Office.
Badminton Canada will not be able to provide visa support letters if the Visa Support Request Form is incomplete and are not accompanied by the requested documents.
Please note, the letter of invitation we provide does not guarantee entry into Canada and the final decision is made by the Canadian Embassy at your own countries. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that they apply for their visa in sufficient time. Any issues with the visa application need to be dealt with directly to the respective Canadian Embassy who is dealing with your application. We accept no responsibility for withdrawals made due to late or unapproved visa applications. Where required, courier costs to post letters of invitation will be recharged to your Association.
• If you require a VISA, please complete the attached VISA Request Form. Please submit the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Please note that VISA issuing timelines at Canadian Consulates can vary significantly. Please contact your local consulate to confirm timelines as soon as possible.
• Please note that if you DO NOT require a VISA to enter into Canada that you will likely require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). These are issued through your travel agent or by your airline prior to boarding a flight bound for Canada.
In preparation for 2019 we have one hotel to serve participants of Yonex Canada Open. The official host hotel is conveniently located across the street from the competition venue.
All reservations must be done directly with the hotel. Badminton Canada, nor the Organizing Committee will NOT be responsible for securing accommodation for any team or individual player.
Hotel reservations must be made before May 14, 2019 to ensure the special rate. We have provided several options for you to make your reservation.
Option 1: Return the hotel booking sheet directly to the hotel by either fax or email.
Option 2: Book directly on-line via the hotel link provided.
Option 3: Call the hotel of your choice directly and provide personal details and method of payment (credit card).
When making a reservation identify yourself as a member of the group “2019 Canada Open Badminton”. Please be prepared to give a credit card number, and expiration date and the three-digit code to secure your reservation.
GROUP BOOKINGS – If you need special billing arrangements, such as bank transfer or need to book more than 5 rooms for your team, please contact the hotel directly under +001 403.202-4419 or 403.202-4414 for us to assist you with your booking.
Meal plans are available upon request at host hotel.
All reservations must be made directly with the hotel and not the Organizing Committee.
Four Points by Sheraton Hotels & Suites, Calgary West (3 star property)
The Four Points by Sheraton Hotels & Suites, Calgary West (8220 Bowridge Crescent NW, Calgary, AB, T3B 2V1) has once again been selected as the official headquarters and host hotel for the 2019 YONEX Canada Open. This property is located three-minute drive or 15-minute walk from the venue and is upon Canada Olympic Park. Shuttle bus will be provided between both host hotels and tournament venue.
The special room rates range from $149-$209 CDN for traditional Queen or King to $169-$229 CDN for King or Queen Suite (additional sitting room with double pull-out sofa) plus 12% tax (5% GST, 4% Room Tax, 3% Destination Marketing Tax) per room for Single, Doubles.
Rates include complimentary wireless internet in guestrooms, meeting spaces and Lobby, and complimentary outdoor parking.
2019 Canada Open Hotel Reservation Contact:
Four Points by Sheraton Hotel & Suites, Calgary West
8220 Bowridge Crescent NW, Calgary, AB, T3B 2V1
Phone +001 403.202-4405
Fax: +001 403-228-4442
Anti-doping will be conducted in accordance with BWF and WADA Regulations. Please consult the BWF website for further information, and to view the current WADA Prohibited List.
Please note that athletes must complete a TUE application process to apply for authorization to take medications which fall under the Prohibited List – before they take medication.
Canadian players concerned with current information on banned substances and medication, go to http://www.cces.ca/en/antidoping/cadp or contact the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport at 1.613.521-3340
By submitting an on-line entry to the 2019 YONEX Canada Open (Grade 2 – Level 6), participant (and parent(s)/guardian(s) if participant is of minority age) affirms having read this document and agrees to be bound by its terms.
In consideration of being permitted to participate in the 2019 YONEX Canada Open and for good and valuable consideration any participant named below, hereinafter called ENTRANT, do hereby agree and covenant with, and release and discharge Badminton Canada, Yonex Canada Corporation, Badminton Alberta, their employees, agents, officers, members, heirs, assigns, executors and administrators and all participants in this event as follows:
Entrant does hereby promise, agree and covenant that he/she will never, at any future time, sue or bring action against the forenamed or any of them, reason of any claim for damages, whether such damage arises from the conduct of the tournament or condition of the premises or from any cause whatsoever. Entrant does hereby release, remise and discharge the forenamed, or any of them from all claims, actions, suits, causes of actions and demands of nature, whether at law or in equity, arising from or alleged to arise from any accident or other occurrence during or about this tournament or condition of the premises on which this event takes place.
Entrant warrants and represents that he/she will be bound by the rules and regulations of the Badminton World Federation and Badminton Canada; is an eligible player as defined by the rules of the organization; understands that the forenamed makes no warranties or guarantees of any nature with respect to the condition of the premises, the operation of the tournament and that no agent or employee is authorized to vary the terms of this agreement, either orally or in writing.
For the same consideration Entrant hereby gives Badminton Canada, and each and every licensee or contractee of either or all of them including photographers, television and or motion picture companies or concerns, their affiliates and subsidiaries, full television and motion picture rights, including full power, permission and authority to film or video tape me during all matches, narrations, personal interviews, or comment thereon for any or all commercial, news or other purposes together with the right to transfer to grant their rights to offers, without compensation to me whatsoever.