Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Events and Communication Coordinator will support and enable the team to grow the number of people competing throughout a range of existing and new events, provide a pathway for players to progress to achieve their potential, work with a range of officials, successfully deliver and present events to a high standard, and be financially sustainable.
Badminton Alberta, the governing body for organized badminton in the Province of Alberta, is seeking a passionate and skilled individual to join our team. The position is financially supported by the Province of Alberta – and is dependent on current/future financial funding contributions of Alberta Sport Connection and other granting agencies.
- Management and delivery of a range of identified projects within the competition pathway, including (but not limited to) regulations, facilities and equipment, distribution of results, workforce and finances to achieve a successful delivery.
- Work with colleagues to support the delivery of a range of other identified projects within the competition pathway and major event portfolio, leading on functional areas, to achieve a successful delivery.
- Utilizing and updating project planning and reporting resources, to enable a professional approach within the Annual Business Plan.
- Management of the recruitment, training and deployment of volunteers (including Technical Officials) as required for identified events, including the systems and documentation required, and paying attention to reward and recognition.
- Proactive support of tournament and league management systems, providing technical support to organizers and players where required.
- Attendance and delivery of up to a maximum of ten events, including unsociable hours, overnight stays and manual handling.
- Day to day contact with our customers, including but not limited to, officials, venues, competition entry, event attendance and event delivery.
- A team approach to identifying potential business and product development opportunities through insight and creativity.
- General administrative duties, including but not limited to venue bookings, financial system input, and equipment procurement and distribution.
- Oversee the development and implementation of provincial high-performance program, including: training, seminars and mentoring for provincial, national and international caliber athletes.
The position will include working with volunteers and committees to ensure effective delivery and implementation of the LTAD (Long Term Athlete Development Plan) to association programs. The primary focus of this position will be to ensure that Badminton Alberta enhances the delivery strategy to foster the growth and development of our members as top caliber players, coaches and officials.
The Successful Candidate will have:
- Successful event planning and delivery experience, ideally including the management and leadership of a volunteer workforce.
- A willingness to work outside of normal office hours and travel as the job requires.
- The ability to demonstrate an understanding of competition as part of a player pathway, and ideally the regulations that govern sport.
- Strong customer service skills, including dispute resolution.
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and presentation skills.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills.
- Extensive financial management experience with hands-on knowledge of QuickBooks or Simply Accounting programs.
- The ability to adapt and apply initiative to a changing and a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in managing multiple and overlapping projects whilst applying a logical and keen eye for detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and experience in developing and nurturing positive internal and external relationships.
- Experience in accepting responsibility and responding promptly to the need for effective decision making.
- A driving license to enable travel, and potentially transportation of equipment, between places of work.
- The ability to challenge effectively to drive change.
- Confident 'can do' attitude with some creative thinking to bring to life new ideas.
- Strong desire to play an active role in this area of the company's growth.
- The candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
This is a full-time, two-year contract position, that provided all criteria and standards are met, opportunity for renewal will be activated.
A competitive salary and benefits package will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
Please submit your resume no later than 4:00 pm, September 10th. 2018. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, preference will be given to applicants who are either Canadian citizens or landed immigrants in Canada.
Applicants should send your resume and cover letter to:
Alberta Badminton Centre
60 Patterson Blvd SW
Calgary, Alberta T3H 2E1
Badminton Alberta is committed to equality & diversity and welcomes applications from everyone regardless of background, origin, gender, religion, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation or disability.
If enough high-quality applications have been received, we reserve the right to close the position early. Please ensure that you apply without delay to avoid disappointment.
Only those being considered for the position will be contacted. If a suitable candidate has not been found the position will remain open beyond the posted closing date.
If required, interviews will be held the week commencing Tuesday 25th September 2018 and will take place at the Alberta Badminton Centre, Calgary, Alberta.