Position: Special Events Coordinator(s)
Application Deadline: May 3rd. 2019
Starting Date: May 21 or 27, 2019
Badminton Alberta, the governing body for organized badminton in the Province of Alberta and proud member of Badminton Canada, is currently inviting applications for eight (8) summer positions of “Special Event Coordinator”. The positions are financially supported by the Government of Canada’s Summer Job Program and Badminton Alberta – and are dependent on current financial funding contributions from the Government of Canada and Badminton Alberta.
Working in collaboration with the Badminton Alberta staff and other Special Events Coordinator(s), these exceptional individuals will provide leadership in the planning, coordination, and evaluation of Badminton Alberta’s hosting opportunities including the large-scale event – 2019 Yonex Canada Open BWF World Tour Super 100.
Working with internal staff and community members, the Special Event Coordinator(s) are responsible for coordinating key aspects of the overall event. The candidates will be instrumental in shaping and implementing the associations hosting program.
We are looking for individuals with special talents and skills in at least one of the following areas of expertise. Primary responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Sponsorship Coordinator – Implement and procure event sponsors, facilitate on-site sponsor hosting, post-event follow-up, final report;
- Financial Controller - Calculate budgets and ensure they are adhered to, implement and supervise advance on-line ticket sales, day-of ticket sales, 50/50 draw and on-site merchandise sales, final report;
- Volunteer Coordinator - Recruit, schedule and coordinate up to 250 volunteers over the 10-day event, including pre-event training, Orientation Meetings, Volunteer Recognition Event, and daily coordination, final report;
- Communication Coordinator - Edit and design promotional materials such as event website, souvenir program, media press release, on-site coordination of media services and external media personnel, final report;
- Social Media Coordinator - Plan and implement social media campaign using programs such as Tweeter, Instagram, Facebook, and Hootsuite, facilitate on-site fan experiences and post event reporting;
- Transportation Coordinator – Plan, manage and execute daily transportation plan to facilitate airport arrivals and departures, daily schedule between host hotel(s) and venue for 250 players, officials, coaches and support personnel; final reporting.
The position(s) will include working with volunteers and committees to ensure effective delivery and implementation of the Yonex Canada Open to members of the general public, international athletes, coaches and support personnel. The primary focus of these positions is to improve Badminton Alberta’s capacity to host major events and build upon best practices to create a knowledgeable core of volunteers capable of hosting national and international events, including major BWF events.
The Special Event Coordinator(s) will be visionary; someone able to demonstrate:
- A solid educational background in all areas of planning, budgeting and execution of large-scale events;
- Experience in developing and implementing complex strategic plans focused on Event Hosting;
- The candidate will also be a self-starter, possess strong interpersonal and organizational skill and be able to effectively handle numerous tasks with tight deadlines simultaneously;
- Computer literacy and ability to work with volunteers is essential;
- The candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
This is a seasonal position consisting of 8-weeks at 35 hours per week.
All candidates must be:
- between 18 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- was registered as a full-time student during the 2018-19 academic year;
- intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the 2019-20 academic year;
- is a student in a secondary, port-secondary, vocational or technical programs;
- is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and;
- is legally entitled to work in Alberta
Please submit your resume no later than 4:00 pm, May 3rd. 2019. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, preference will be given to applicants who are either Canadian citizens or landed immigrants in Canada.
Applicants should send your resume and a statement of personal philosophy regarding the positions to:
C/O Alberta Badminton Centre
60 Patterson Blvd SW
Calgary, Alberta T3H 2E1
Badminton Alberta is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest, however; only those being considered for the position will be contacted. If a suitable candidate has not been found the position will remain open beyond the posted closing date.